Friday, August 17, 2012

Tomatoes. Removing Skins & Seeds.

My gracious neighbor called and asked if I wanted any extra tomatoes. 
Sure I said.
I was thinking 2 maybe 3.  I received over 50.
So I'm going to get my salsa on.
And my sauce on.
And anything else I can think of.

But first we have to get the tomatoes ready for the party.  They need to be skinned and de-seeded before any of the above mentioned stuff can begin.

Step 1:
  • Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
  • While waiting for water to boil fill sink half full with water.
  • Prepare a large bowl with ice water.
  • Have a bowl or paper towel ready for discarded skins.
Step 2:
  • Place 2-4 tomatoes in pot of boiling water for no longer than 1 minute.
  • Immediately plunge boiled tomatoes into bowl of ice water.
  • Remove tomatoes from ice water and slide the skins off.  Throw skins away.
Step 3:
  • Slice top off of tomatoes and discard any other undesirable parts.
  • Slice tomatoes in half or in quarters depending on the size.
  • Over the kitchen sink squeeze each tomato half.  This will get rid of the extra juices and seeds.  I learned that the seeds will make any sauce bitter.  So get rid of them.
  • The reason I like to squeeze the tomatoes over the kitchen sink is for the pure convenience that I can run the garbage disposal and it makes for a very quick clean up.
Now your tomatoes are ready for any party you want to invite them to.  Let the games begin.



No comments:

Post a Comment