Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Man Muffins (aka..Pork and Bean Muffins)



Let me just introduce this recipe by repeating how much I hate pork and beans.  I can't even stand the smell of them, let alone their pastiness.  Disgusting.

We had some company over Sunday for pulled pork and the men folk in my life enjoy pork and beans - so for the love of them, I will occasionally open a can and heat them up.  That's it.

I happened to accidentally open two large cans of the disgusting things and silently prayed they would get eaten by the men.  Sadly, they did their best but a large amount of beans remained.  Not wanting them to go to waste I began to plan their future.

Rewind, a few years back when my mother-in-love and I were at Farmer's Market.  She purchased some home-made Pork and Bean bread and offered me a sample.  I swallowed my pride and took a pinch off the loaf.  "You're kidding me - that has pork in beans in it? Not bad." I said.

Up for the challenge were my left-over Pork and Beans.  Have I mentioned the word "disgusting" yet?
As much as I hate beans I managed to eat TWO of these muffins.  TWO!  I know......I know.....

Man Muffins

2 Cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups pork and beans (purred)

Directions:
(1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
(2) In large mixing bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.  Beat until smooth.
(3) Add in oil. Beat until smooth.  Pour in beans and beat until smooth.
(4) Add dry ingredients - flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.  Beat lightly until just incorporated.  Do not over beat.
(5) Scoop batter into lined muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Helpful Hints:
(1) This was my first time EVER making this.  Next time however, I want to experiment with substituting applesauce or Greek yogurt for the oil.
(2) Can also pour into 2, 9" loaf pans and bake for 1 hour.
(3) I strongly suggest purring the beans.  If my girls found out there were pork and beans in there they wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot pole.  (Any idea where they get that from?)

No comments:

Post a Comment