This recipe for Frosted Cinnamon Rolls won the 2008 Tones contest at the Iowa State Fair.
Makes 24 rolls
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Rise Time 1 hour, 30-45 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
1 cup mashed potatoes from 2 medium potatoes
1 cup reserved potato water
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup hot water
2 envelopes Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm water (100-110 F)
8 1/2 - 9 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5-6 tablespoons milk
(1) Combine potatoes, potato water, butter, sugar, salt and hot water in large mixer bowl. Stir until butter melts; set aside and let cool.
(2) Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in small bowl. Add eggs, 2 cups flour and yeast mixture to potato mixture. Continue adding flour, 1 cup at a time until soft dough forms.
(3) Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 4-6 minutes), or knead with electric mixer using dough hook. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place about 1 hour, until doubled.
(4) Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll one porton of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12x18-inch rectangle.
(5) Spread with half the butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of the mixture over surface. Roll up tightly, sealing edges. Cut into 12 slices.
(6)Place in greased 13x9" pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise 30 to 45 minutes.
(7) Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over rolls