Monday, August 16, 2010

Bruschetta with Mozzarella

I've been waiting all summer for my heirloom Brandywine tomatoes to ripen...


...and FINALLY this afternoon I was able to thoroughly enjoy the intense flavor these marvelous tomatoes have to offer. I'm like a little kid waiting to open presents on Christmas morning as I await the rest of the green tomatoes to ripen as well.

But in the meantime I can enjoy this warm and delicious bruschetta. I highly recommend making it only with your heirloom tomatoes because the flavor will be out of this world delicious!


Ingredients:
1 ripe Brandywine tomato, diced.
1 Tbsp. onion of your choice
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 sprig fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper
French Bread slices
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions:
(1) Place the tomato, onion, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and the basil in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Let season for 30 minutes.
(2) Meanwhile, lightly butter the bread slices. Place buttered slices on a cookie sheet and broil in the oven until just golden on both sides.
(3) Mound bread with the tomato mixture and top with desired amount of mozzarella cheese.
(4) Return to oven and broil until cheese has melted.
(5) Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment