Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oatmeal Molasses Bread

Our former pastor's wife would make this wonderful bread and delivery it when they would visit. So when I was putting together some cooking/Titus 2 classes for the women of our church I knew I had to have her come and show us how she makes this bread. Of course da'hubby and the two girls love it so I try to make it once in a while.



Ingredients:
3 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup molasses
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
7-8 cups flour
Directions:
(1) In a large mixing bowl combine the warm water and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to set until it bubbles (about 10 minutes).
(2) Stir in oatmeal, molasses, oil and salt.
(3) Stir in flour, one cup at a time until it is not sticky and dough is smooth and elastic.
(4) Cover and let rise until doubled.
(5) Once doubled, cut into 3 pieces. Make into nice round loafs.
(6) Place loafs in greased bread pans and let rise until doubled.
(7) Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. TURN OVEN OFF and let set in oven with door closed for another 20 minutes.
(8) Allow loafs to cool on wire racks before removing from pans.
Helpful Hints:
(1) Today when I made this I ran out of white flour. I used all of 5 cups of white and used another 2+ cups of whole wheat. The bread still tasted awesome and is probably better for me.
(2) Try it toasted with butter and honey. SOOOO good.

No comments:

Post a Comment