3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, separated
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups pecans, finely chopped
20 caramels, unwrapped
1/4 cup half-and-half
(1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
(2) In a large bowl combine sugar, butter and shortening. Beat until light and fluffy.
(3) Add vanilla and egg yolk. Blend well.
(4) Add flour, cocoa and baking powder.
(5) In a small bowl beat egg white until foamy. Place pecans in another small bowl.
(6) Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip in egg white and roll in pecans.
(7) Place on ungreased cookie sheet. With thumb, make indentation in center of each cookie.
(8) Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are set.
(9) Immediately remove from cookie sheets to wire racks.
(10) In a small saucepan combine caramels and half-and-half. Cook until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. Spoon caramel mixture into center of each cookie. Cool until caramel is set.