2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. water
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. lemon juice (crazy I know!)
1 tsp. peppermint extract
3 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. shortening
10-12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
(1) In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir together the water, corn syrup, lemon juice and peppermint extract, then sift in half the powdered sugar. Add the shortening. Beat on medium, then slowly sift in the remaining powdered sugar until the mixture is well combined.
(2) Knead the mixture into a ball (it will be very stiff; if necessary, add 1/2 tsp. water to make it workable). Roll the mixture into a 9-inch circle between sheets of waxed paper. About 1/4" thick. Lay the waxed paper covered disk on a cookie sheet and freeze it until firm, about 15 minutes.
(3) Place the frozen disk on a cutting surface and remove and reserve the waxed paper. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment. With a small round cutter, cut out circles from the disk, then place them on the cookie sheet. Gather the scraps into a ball, flatten again and cut more circles until the entire disk is used up. Freeze the circles for 10 minutes.
(4) Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Coat the patties one at a time; balance each on a fork and dip it , then shake off any excess chocolate before returning the coated patty to the parchment. Sprinkle each patty with a bit of crushed peppermints.
(5) Harden the finished patties in the freezer. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer.