Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

Where's the 6-star rating when I need one? Because this soup deserves all 6 stars I would give it. SO GOOD! My beloved mother-in-law made this soup for our Christmas Eve gathering and I've been craving it ever since. I just thought it would be so hard to make plus I'd have to roast that turkey and all. Not the case at all. Simple soup to put together - took less than 30 minutes and tasted like I ran out to SoHo and brought it home. Yeah, it's that good. (Recipe is also from Taste of Home as well as this picture)

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 cups turkey or chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice (I used Uncle Ben's Sun dried Tomato Wild rice - 1 pkg)
2 cups half and half
2 cups diced cooked turkey
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions:
(1) Open the package of Uncle Ben's wild rice and cook according to package directions. Set aside. (2) In a large kettle, saute onion, celery and carrots in butter/margarine until onion is transparent. Reduce heat.
(3) Blend in flour and cook until bubbly. Gradually add broth 1 cup at a time stirring constantly.
(4) Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute.
(5) Reduce heat and add wild rice, half and half, turkey, parsley, salt and pepper.
(6) Simmer for 20 minutes..
(7) Serve hot with artisan bread.

Helpful Hints:
(1) I just used my left over turkey which made it even simpler!

No comments:

Post a Comment