1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs & milk to make 1 cup
1 tsp. soda - dissolved in 1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
6 cups flour
(1) In a large mixing bowl cream the shortening and sugar.
(2) Beat in the egg and milk mixture.
(3) Beat in the soda and milk mixture. Add the baking powder, salt and nutmeg until well incorporated.
(4) Beat in 6 cups flour. Dough will be a little sticky.
(5) Roll dough onto a generously floured surface. Cut into shapes.
(6) On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, bake at 350 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until the edges are just golden.
(7) Cool on wire racks before frosting with http://theyankeesouthernbelle.blogspot.com/2012/02/butter-cream-frosting.html Butter Cream Frosting.