If my memory serves me correctly my mom was the one that first started making these when I was a little girl. Now I make these for my little girls.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Farmers Cheese cubes, frozen
Thin sliced, brown-sugared ham
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(2) On a cutting board cover chicken breasts with Saran Wrap. Then using a rolling pin pound the chicken until they are thinned but still hold their shape.
(3) One one side of the chicken place about 3-4 slices of ham. In the center of the chicken and on top of the ham, place a frozen cube of Farmers cheese.
(4) Roll chicken and secure with toothpicks.
(5) Coat chicken bundles in melted butter until completely coated.
(6) Transfer to a shallow dish with the Italian bread crumbs and completely coat.
(7) Place in a lightly greased 9x13" baking pan and bake for 1 hour or until juices run clear.
(1) I've learned from experience that the frozen cheese works the best. Usually, I'll go to the store and buy a brick of Farmers Cheese, come home and cut it into cubes, then put it in the freezer until I'm ready to use them. Using frozen cheese will ensure that that cheese melts in the last few minutes of baking.
(2) Use Italian bread crumbs if you can. It really helps to give the chicken good flavor. If I have them I will usually mix in ground flax seed too. It helps give the crumb coating a nice crunch.