Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grandma Pete's Banana Bread

Banana Bread - a true comfort food. Every household most likely has one or two recipes for their own homemade banana bread. This one is extra special to me because it is my Grandma Pete's recipe and because it's my husbands favorite.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. buttermilk
3 very ripe banana's
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Directions:
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a bread pan with parchment paper or lightly grease.
(2) Cream sugar, margarine and eggs.
(3) Mix in buttermilk and banana's. Then add dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking soda until just incorporated. Don't over beat.
(4) Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top.
(5) Bake for 1 hour or until center is cooked through.

Helpful Hints:
(1) A good buttermilk substitute is to mix 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice with enough milk to make 1 cup. I usually always have heavy cream but no buttermilk. The fat content is higher in cream so I will usually use that with vinegar to make my buttermilk.
(2) I always make my banana bread with ripe banana's that I've pulled and defrosted out of the freezer. Very ripe banana's make this bread so much better.
(3) Also, 1 pack of baby food equals one banana. So if you don't have ripe banana's use banana baby food. I'm serious. It's good.
(4) Don't over beat. Over beating causes two major problems in quick breads (a) it makes them tough and (b) it will give you large tunnels in your bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment