Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Granny's Waffles

This recipe is from my great-grandma, Granny. I wish she were still alive today for many reasons - but I sure do have a lot of questions about her waffles. I've tried to make these in several different ways and each time they still don't compare to hers. They are still good waffles. I just haven't masterd how Granny did it yet. Perhaps, I need to try a different waffle iron.....Ingredients:
2 cups shifted flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/4 cup shortening, melted
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
Directions:
(1) Preheat waffle iron.
(2) In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
(3) Separate eggs, putting the egg whites in a separate bowl with 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
(4) Mix egg yolks, milk and melted shortening together. Whisk into flour mixture.
(5) Fold egg whites into batter with wooden spoon.
(6) Pour batter into waffle iron and cook until just golden.

Helpful Hints:
(1) Granny's original recipe called for just un-melted shortening. But from everything I've read about waffles the fat is best if it's melted.
(2) The first time I made this I didn't mix the milk and other ingredients together I just kind of threw it all together. HUGE mistake because then I had large lumps all over the place. So then I thought I would just throw it in the blender. Yay, that would work. No. That didn't work. In fact that made it worse because there was so much air whipped in it. So whatever you don't put the batter in the blender.
(3) If you use pure maple syrup from Canada it makes it SO much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment