Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

There's just something so homey about scalloped potatoes and ham - especially with a cold wind blowing. Tonight I was just going to open up my Betty Crocker cookbook and do the usual and in my head I was already hearing my 2 girls and Da'Hubby grumble about it. So I went out on a limb and opened up Allrecipes.com and came across this one, gave it a try and I kid you not - there are no leftovers. None. And Da'Hubby said "this was good babe". So move over Betty Crocker Scalloped potatoes there's a new kid in town.


Ingredients:
5 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (Russets also work well)
1 small onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 cups cubed ham, fully cooked
1 qt. heavy cream

Directions:
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13" pan.
(2) In a large mixing bowl combine the potatoes, onion, garlic, Cheddar cheese and ham.
(3) Spread into the prepared 9x13" pan and pour cream over the potato mixture.
(4) Bake in preheated oven until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.

Helpful Hints:
(1) Obviously my little family of 4 couldn't eat (or could they) a 9x13" pan. So I split the recipe and used my larger deep dish stone from Pampered chief. It worked awesome.
(2) I also didn't use fresh onion and garlic - instead I just used my seasoning powder.
(3) Before I threw it in the oven I sprinkled the top with more Cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment