Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chicken and Rice Bake

I'm not going to lie to you. This may sound boring and flavorless but it is a very simple, inexpensive and quick dish to put on the table. And doesn't lack flavor. I always like to serve mine with a dark green veggie. I've had this recipe so long I don't remember where I found it.

Ingredients:
1can (10 3/4 oz.) Cream of Chicken soup
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
4-6 chicken breasts, skinless/boneless
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:
(1) Preheat oven to 375.
(2) Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder and black pepper in 2-qt. shallow baking dish.
(3) Top with chicken. Sprinkle chicken with additional pepper.
(4) Cover and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done.
(5) Uncover and sprinkle cheese over chicken. Bake 5 minutes longer uncovered.

Helpful Hints:
(1) This does work well for a freezer meal as well.
(2) There are days where I'll make this up early in the morning before I've had a chance to clean up after breakfast and place the dish in the refrigerator until I'm ready to bake it. Makes dinner so effortless and then I only have to clean up once.
(3) This is also a great dish to come home to after church. Just place the refrigerated dish in the oven and set your oven timers to turn on 45 minutes before you expect to come home. EASY!
(4) One of the tips on the recipe was to add 2 cups fresh, canned or frozen vegetables into the soup mixture before adding chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment