Sunday, March 13, 2011

Caramel Soaked French Toast

When I was engaged I registered at Dillards for our China, stemware, flatware, etc. One of the free gifts I received from Dillards was a book with recipes and other home care tips. I didn't find it useful until after we were married and my beloved in-loves were coming for their first visit to our nuptial home. I had to find a recipe to impress to show them I could take good care of their son.Sorry...not much left to take a picture of


Cue this recipe. Found it in the Dillards wedding registry book I received and it's been a keeper ever since. I've passed it down to my beloved mother-in-law, had it published in a prior church cook-book and given it to many friends. Wish I could take credit for it but we'll give the credit to Dillards.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 Cup butter
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
10 slices of French Bread
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 Cups milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 Cup butter, melted


Directions:
(1) Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
(2) Pour syrup mixture evenly into a lightly greased 9x13" pan.
(3) Arrange bread slices over syrup.
(4) In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt.
(5) Gradually pour mixture over bread slices. Cover and chill overnight for at least 8 hours.
(6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(7) Combine 3 Tbps. sugar with 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over soaked bread.
(8) Drizzle 1/4 cup melted butter over bread.
(9) Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I just tried to lick the dish! This sounds amazing, and I KNOW it will be a hit in my house! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're always looking for some new breakfast recipes around here for our Sunday night 'breakfast for supper' night. I think this one will be making an appearance. :)

    ReplyDelete